Protein expression and purification is an essential part structural biology. This module will introduce the theory and practice of protein expression and purification. Students will have the opportunity to use modern, robotic protein purification equipment.
Dr Arvind Varsani (Electron Microscope Unit) has a Pharmaceutical Chemistry and Molecular Biology background. He will present lectures on various aspects of virus structures, assist in the electron microscopy module and provide molecular biology support for the programme.
The ability to:
- describe and discuss protein expression and purification.
- express recombinant proteins
- purify proteins by ion exchange chromatography, gel filtration chromatography, affinity chromatography and ultracentrifugation.
- Expression systems
- Introduction to protein purification
- Detection of proteins
- Principles of chromatography (ion exchange, gel filtration, affinity chromatography
||Molecular and Cell Biology, UCT
|Module description (Header):
||Protein expression and purification
|Generic module name:
|Learning time breakdown (hours):
|Contact with lecturer/tutor:
|Assignments & tasks:
|Tests & examinations:
|Total Learning Time
|Methods of Student Assessment:
||Students will be required to submit a practical write up and complete an assignment.
Assignments – 100%
Students will be required to submit a practical write up and complete an assignment (100% of course mark).
- [PEP] Overview Lecture by Arvind Varsani
- Recombinant Expression Systems
- Molecular Biology and Gene Cloning for the Structural Biologist - by Michael Benedik, Department of Biology, Texas A&M University
/lectures/benedik/ on the server.
- Introduction: Genes and Gene Expression
- Cloning DNA
- DNA Synthesis, PCR, DNA Sequencing
- Mutagenesis and Protein Engineering: mutilation and mayhem as applied to poor defenseless genes.
- Gene expression in prokaryotes
- Gene expression in yeast and eukaryotes
- The BirkBeck College protein purification course
Documentation and Resources
See the following resources on our website, for further protocols and information, including:
. "Recombinant protein expression in Escherichia coli." Current Opinion in Biotechnology
, 10 (5)
"Agarose Gel Electrophoresis. ASU - Ask A Biologist." 2010
. http://askabiologist.asu.edu/agarose-gel-electroporesis (accessed 2013-02-05)
"Alkaline Lysis. ASU - Ask A Biologist." 2010
. http://askabiologist.asu.edu/alkaline-lysis (accessed 2014-04-16)